- VIAVI will collaborate with Tier-1 international communications and cloud service providers in bandwidth-on-demand proof of concept
- Virtual test and performance monitoring platform named as finalist for MEF16 Third Network Technology Solutions Award
- Company will also exhibit Ethernet activation and assurance solutions in Booth #309
Milpitas, Calif., November 7, 2016 – VIAVI Solutions (NASDAQ: VIAV) today announced that it is collaborating with pioneers in network function virtualization (NFV) to demonstrate the automated delivery of dynamic, bandwidth-on-demand services via an orchestrated multi-carrier, multi-platform solution. The demonstration will occur as part of a Proof of Concept Showcase at MEF16, November 7-9 in Baltimore, Maryland. VIAVI will provide a demonstration of virtualized test and assurance of Layer 1-4 connectivity and service quality.
The proof of concept (PoC) will demonstrate how a customer may order a circuit via a web portal, to be provisioned through three different carriers, into a cloud provider data center on another continent, and have an application turned up and monitored with minimal human touches. The MEF Lifecycle Orchestration (LSO) framework architecture will be showcased as the means to seamlessly connect these disparate domains. VIAVI will provide its virtual test and service assurance solution located in both the cloud and at the customer edge. The VNF-based service acceptance and testing technology verifies the newly created service meets previously defined SLA requirements. More information about the PoC can be found here.
VIAVI’s Virtual Test and Assurance Solutions
As carriers virtualize their networks, they will require similarly virtualized test and service assurance to be able to test on demand or as an integrated part of the service roll-out. Instead of dispatching a technician carrying specialized equipment to perform a test on site, service activation and performance tests can automatically be run when required—remotely—reducing operating expense and time to service.
VIAVI’s virtualized test and performance monitoring solutions for the PoC will include:
- Service Activation and Throughput Testing – TrueSpeed™ VNF is a virtual network function in conjunction with hypervisors, based on the IETF RFC 6349 TCP throughput testing methodology, monitoring the performance of live customer circuits from a service provider call center and providing actionable information to help resolve problems without dispatching a technician. Together with SAMcomplete™, TrueSpeed VNF is the industry’s only integrated Y.1564-based Layer 2/3 and RFC 6349 Layer 4 solution for comprehensive cloud-ready Ethernet service installation.
- Assurance and Performance Monitoring – EtherASSURE™ is a service assurance solution for managing the complete Ethernet lifecycle. It enables service providers to conduct remote critical test standards such as RFC 2544, helping to ensure a seamless experience for network traffic, and to support ongoing performance management, troubleshooting and service level agreement (SLA) management with two-way active measurement protocol (TWAMP) and Y.1731 performance monitoring functionality.
“Network technology is well down the path of virtualization, and all members of the ecosystem need to adapt accordingly,” said Kevin Oliver, Vice President and General Manager, Converged Instruments and Virtual Test, VIAVI Solutions. “However, there are two market requirements that must also drive development: interoperability, and streamlined ability to address hybrid configurations of physical and virtual networks. With our broad range of legacy test equipment and our innovations in virtualization we are well positioned to bring both worlds together. VIAVI is pleased to participate in such coordinated public demonstrations with industry leaders.”
About VIAVI Solutions
VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) is a global provider of network test, monitoring and assurance solutions to communications service providers, enterprises and their ecosystems, supported by a worldwide channel community including VIAVI Velocity Solution Partners. We deliver end-to-end visibility across physical, virtual and hybrid networks, enabling customers to optimize connectivity, quality of experience and profitability. VIAVI is also a leader in high performance thin film optical coatings, providing light management solutions to anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, automotive, defense and instrumentation markets. Learn more about VIAVI at www.viavisolutions.com. Follow us on VIAVI Perspectives, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.