May 19, 2015 — Fiber network deployment continues at a staggering pace to meet the explosive growth in consumer bandwidth demand triggered by FTTH, FTTA, data centers, and mobile backhaul. The optical time domain reflectometer (OTDR) is essential for fiber acceptance testing, but managing the commissioning process of a complete fiber-optic cable remains a tedious and time-consuming task.
CABLE-SLM simplifies sequencing intensive fiber characterization and managing large amounts of test data. Technicians can directly correlate multifiber test results and OTDR traces, and automatic pass/fail analysis provides instant on-site expertise.
Key Application Benefits
- Manage multifiber acceptance testing
- Retain a permanent fiber-optic cable testing record
- Perform Tier-2 certification for ribbon fibers in data centers
- Commission point-to-point optical fiber links (wireless backhaul and FTTH drops)
- Optimize cable commissioning projects
- Employ consistent, predefined procedures
- Manage end-to-end test sequences
- Improve outside-plant job efficiency
- Reduce manipulation errors with automated file storage and naming conventions
- Gather instant cable pass/fail information
- Generate reports instantaneously in various supported formats
Service providers and fiber contractors continue to struggle with increasing deployment costs and a diminishing workforce that is skilled in new fiber-optic link construction and deployment. The CABLE-SLM application increases technician productivity—regardless of skill level—and ensures that the job gets done correctly. Intensive OTDR measurements can be performed without the threat of losing test results or wasted time retrieving files, saving hours of work.
JDSU is the recipient of the coveted 2014 Frost & Sullivan Fiber Optics Test Equipment Market Leader Award for fiber optic test equipment.