Optical systems with high-speed lasers, analog transmission (CATV), or Raman amplifiers require high return loss for maximum performance. Furthermore, optical return loss measurements can be used to prove that an installation was completed carefully and accurately; for example, they can show that the optical connectors were inspected and are clean. The ultra-sensitive power meter combined with stabilized light sources enable up to a 70 dB measurement range.
The angled single-mode test port (APC) guarantees highly accurate return loss measurements without requiring external termination for up to 50 dB return loss measurements.
- Complete jobs faster, correctly, and on time—right the first time
- Automated pass/fail fiber inspection analysis with the optional P5000i microscope
- Compact, rugged, weather-proof design
- Measurement of optical return ross
- Measurement of optical power (absolute and relative)
- Measurement of optical insertion loss
- Inspection of optical connectors (IBYC)
- Battery-operated field-portable optical return loss meter with an 1260 to 1650 nm measurement wavelength range (1 nm incremental setting) at the power meter, multiple wavelengths at the source and return loss up to 70 dB
- Interchangeable optical adapters (Senko) for FC, SC, ST and LC optical connectors
- 3.5-in color touch screen with integrated stylus
- Individual threshold settings for power and loss pass/fail analysis
- Fiber inspection and test results storage with time stamp
- Data transfer and remote control via USB or Ethernet interface
- Auto-lambda and multi-lambda test functions
What is Return Loss?
Return loss is the loss of power in the signal returned/reflected by a discontinuity in a transmission line. This discontinuity can be a mismatch with the terminating load or with a device inserted in the line, and is a measure of how well devices or lines are matched. If the impedance match is good, all the energy will be transmitted through and nothing should be reflected.
SmartClass Fiber Training
- Fiber Optic Fundamentals & Multi-Fiber Inspection, Cleaning, and Testing with the MPOLx & P5000i
- Multi-Fiber Insp., Cleaning, and Testing with the MPOLx & P5000i
- OLTS-85/85P Fiber Inspection, Cleaning, & Testing Technician Certification Exam
- SmartClass Fiber MPOLx Product Overview
- SmartClass Fiber MPOLx Patch Cord Microscope Overview
- SmartClass Fiber MPOLx Loss-Length Testing
- SmartClass Ethernet Basic Use & Testing (SPT)
- SmartClass Fiber HD4i-P5000i Device Overview
- SmartClass Fiber HD4i-P5000i Setting Up Fiber Inspection Test
- SmartClass Fiber HD4i-P5000i Performing the Fiber Inspection Test
- SmartClass Fiber HD4i-P5000i Configuring Profiles with FiberChekPro
- SmartClass Fiber OLTS-85 Product Overview
- SmartClass Fiber OLTS-85 Setting up and running a Tier 1 Test
- SmartClass Fiber OLTS-85 Setting up a Test Reference
- SmartClass Fiber OLTS-85/85P Performing a Loss Test
Product Training Options
Self-Paced Online Training and Certification
Learn to use the functionality and features of VIAVI Solutions' products online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week followed by a certification test upon completion of all modules.
Virtual Classroom and Certification
Instructor led Coursework: Learn from an expert Instructor from the convenience of your desk. Build your skill sets using VIAVI Solutions products to test various technologies with test and certification upon completion.
On-Site Classroom and Live Lab Workshops with Certifications
Instructor led Coursework: Build expertise using your VIAVI products in live lab exercises with test and certification upon completion. Utilize optional workshop days for field test on your network with your instructor.
Mentorship Consulting & System Admin Training
Instruments: Mentorship Test Procedure Consultation: Application Engineer Days. One of our test experts will come to your site and conduct testing with your team to troubleshoot stubborn problems or write up test procedures.