The VIAVI SKB series controllable optical switch is designed to connect a single optical channel to any of N channels. It is the enhanced version of our legacy SK/SP series switch modules and is the only stepper-motor based switch module available in this market with a lifetime greater than 120 million cycles. Each module can accommodate multiple 1 x N switches that can be internally interconnected to provide various types of configurations, such as blocking M x N, where M represents inputs and N represents outputs, or each module can operate as independent switches. The switch module is available in two package sizes:
- Package size 1 can accommodate up to two switches with total channel count up to 50.
- Package size 2 can accommodate up to four switches with a total channel count up to 100.
The operation of the switch is based on proven JDS Uniphase's expanded beam lens technology utilizing a precision stepper-motor to align optical channels. The use of collimating lenses minimizes insertion loss (IL). The design is optimized for high return loss (RL). The switch is microprocessor controlled via a parallel interface or addressable serial interface (RS-485). It is designed for mounting on a printed circuit board or within a module for OEM applications.
- Remote fiber test systems (RFTS)
- Fiber network restoration
- Fiberoptic component test and measurement
- Integrated module solution designed for integration into new products
- OEM applications
- Sensing applications
- Lifetime greater than 120 million cycles
- Up to 100 channels
- Up to 4 switches in a module
- Internal switches can be factory configured to create various configurations, such as blocking MxN
- Latching version available
- Queriable switch position and configuration
- Status and alarm registers
- Highly customer-configurable to assist in swapping spares or changing channel order
- Operating temperature of - 35 to 75 °C for steppermotor-based switches
- Typical IL 0.5 dB