Milpitas, Calif., February 18, 2016 – VIAVI Solutions (NASDAQ: VIAV) today announced the launch of GEOson, the industry’s only machine-learning location intelligence solution for 2G, 3G and 4G network performance optimization. As mobile network operators strive to stay ahead of surging, non-uniform demand from their subscriber bases, VIAVI’s GEOson delivers the ability to dynamically and automatically adapt the radio access network (RAN) in real time for optimal customer experience. GEOson combines subscriber-level intelligence from the ariesoGEO™ platform with the InteliSON® self-organizing network portfolio acquired from Reverb Networks. VIAVI will be demonstrating GEOson at Mobile World Congress, Hall 6, Booth 6I37, February 22-25.
Mobile networks worldwide may be at different stages of development between 3G and 5G, but are following a common path involving network function virtualization (NFV) and densification to meet the requirements of exploding, more diverse service consumption. The operators leading the way are seeking to automate network optimization based on real-time, actionable intelligence, especially in the RAN which will continue to get more distributed, heterogeneous and complex.
When VIAVI acquired Arieso, it extended the company’s intelligence platform beyond the network edge. The ariesoGEO platform locates, stores and analyzes data from billions of mobile connection events, giving operators a rich source of intelligence to help boost network performance and enrich the user experience. ariesoGEO has been installed in over seventy-five networks from operators including Softbank—in some of the largest and most complex implementations of geo-location technology in the world—to help improve customer satisfaction. With the acquisition of technology and assets from Reverb Networks, VIAVI now delivers industry-leading automated network optimization.
Key features of GEOson include:
- Support for the widest range of infrastructure vendors and cellular technologies in the industry, from GSM to UMTS and LTE, evolving to new technologies as they become standardized
- InteliSON® algorithm combines intelligence from RAN and operational support systems (OSS) with subscriber-level geolocation data to automatically implement load balancing, interference reduction, self healing and automatic neighbor relations (ANR)
- Machine learning algorithms can predict the effects of changes to help ensure stable operation, rather than the prevailing SON paradigm of trial and error
- Available in a Software as a Service (SaaS) model, and virtualized
- Optimization pushed to mobile devices, forcing active devices to perform load-based handover based on each user’s traffic requirements and radio conditions
- Coordination and orchestration of self-optimizing actions across centralized and distributed SON (C-SON and D-SON), helping to resolve conflicts, race conditions, bounce and glare between the various controlling layers
- Industry-leading efficiency and scalability, running on commodity servers with horizontal scalability designed in from the outset.
“Traffic load and complexity are skyrocketing, and mobile operators have to increase the efficiency in the use of their network resources both to provide the best subscriber experience and to differentiate from competing operators. They can only do so if they optimize their network in real-time, combining geolocation, traffic load and network conditions from the RAN,” said Monica Paolini, President, Senza Fili Consulting. “Solutions like GEOson ca help operators meet the challenges brought by this new approach to RAN optimization in an automated and virtualized environment.”
“GEOson is focused on achieving complete network autonomy, to run the network without human intervention,” said Zoran Kehler, former CEO of Reverb Networks and Vice President of Business Development, VIAVI Solutions. “This type of innovation will be critical to manage the network complexity and traffic expected in 4G and 5G networks.”
“By combining the strengths of Arieso and Reverb, VIAVI has executed a masterstroke in self-organizing networks,” said Payam Maveddat, General Manager, Location Intelligence, VIAVI Solutions. “Our worldwide customer base is on the leading edge of delivering differentiated experiences to their subscribers as efficiently as possible, and our analytics and optimization solutions help them to maintain that edge by evolving the network on demand.”
About VIAVI Solutions
VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) software and hardware platforms and instruments deliver end-to-end visibility across physical, virtual and hybrid networks. Precise intelligence and actionable insight from across the network ecosystem optimizes the service experience for increased customer loyalty, greater profitability and quicker transitions to next-generation technologies. VIAVI is also a leader in anti-counterfeiting solutions for currency authentication and high-value optical components and instruments for diverse government and commercial applications. Learn more at VIAVI Solutions and follow us on VIAVI Perspectives, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.