VIAVI Solutions performs a product performance check certifying the test equipment is performing within published specifications and updates the instruments internal calibration. The calibration ensures accuracy and proper function of the instrument including required retrofits/repairs and firmware/software updates.
VIAVI Solutions conforms to one or more of the standards listed below as applicable to their product, location, and customer requirements. In keeping with this policy, the metrology and calibration processes provide an unbroken line of traceability to nationally and / or internationally recognized standards.
- ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems - Requirements
- ANSI/NCSL Z540-1 Calibration Laboratories Measuring and Test Equipment.
In addition, aviation ground support equipment (ramp or back shop), is required by the various aviation authorities around the world (including the FAA) to be maintained in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations, including calibration traceable to national standards.
Tests performed with out of calibration test sets can return to service devices which are not performing to regulated specifications.
What are the most common implications of these issues to the business?
- Inaccurate results: Calibration cycles greater than recommended may not yield accurate measurements
- Inaccurate measurements resulting from uncalibrated tools may violate industry standards and violate regulatory body requirements
- Tests found to be performed by an out of calibration test set can result in containment actions and unplanned rework
- Devices calibrated on uncalibrated test sets may function improperly, cause interference issues violating government regulatory requirements, and/or damage other equipment