The VIAVI TM500 O-RU Tester covers a wide range of test capabilities, allowing customers to ensure conformance, inter-operability and performance testing including real-time generation of the O-RAN Control/User/Synchronization/Management plane messaging for the IQ data stream. The TM500 O-RU Tester supports inter-operability validation for different vendor O-RUs, addressing key challenges seen with testing within the O-RAN test framework.
The TM500 O-RU Tester implements the O-RAN Distributed Unit (O-DU) side of the M-plane and C/U-plane functionality necessary to configure the interface with the O-RAN Radio Unit (O-RU) under test and exchange of I/Q data over the U-plane. The solution provides S-plane PTP and SyncE Grandmaster capability as well as being able to operate in PTP client mode to allow synchronization with an external PTP Grandmaster.
The TM500 O-RU Tester NETCONF client supports stateful M-plane. The O-DU cycles through typical M-plane procedures and establishes a link with the O-RU. The O-DU emulator’s C/U-plane engine generates real-time eCPRI packets from downlink signal generated by the Vector Signal Generator (VSG). eCPRI packets are transported to O-RU via the Open Fronthaul interface. Vector Signal Explorer (VSE) software and a Vector Signal Analyzer (VSA) support the analysis of downlink signal from the O-RU’s transceiver port.
O-RAN Plugfest Participation
The O-RU receives uplink signal via O-RU’s Rx port from VSG. Uplink U-plane eCPRI packets are transported to the O-DU emulator via the Open Fronthaul interface in response to the Uplink focused C-plane packets received by O-RU. Frequency domain uplink signal is analyzed using VSE software. The TM500 O-RU Test Manager Application (TMA) follows the philosophy of single point of control where it enables the user to configure, manage, analyze and generate test case reports all from same application.
- Wide Test Capability
- Works seamlessly with the industry-standard TM500 and TeraVM Core Emulator
- Re-uses a derivative of the TM500 and software, reducing risks of integration, providing quality, stability and ensuring most importantly that the inter-operability and performance test
- Conformance Testing
- O-RAN Fronthaul Testing
- 5G Physical Layer Testing
- NETCONF Client to support Start-Up and get/edit configuration of M-plane attributes in the O-RU under test
- O-RAN C/U-plane functionality to exchange I/Q data over Lower Layer Split 7-2x interface
- Real time C/U-plane eCPRI packets generation
- Embedded protocol analyzer for OFH traffic analysis
- C/U-plane messaging support with eCPRI over Ethernet
- PTP/SyncE Grandmaster + PTP Client for Synchronization with external PTP Master
- OFH interface connectivity monitoring
- Wide range of synchronization topologies
- Multiple options for stimulus waveform generation