The T-BERD/MTS-5800 handheld network tester is the one tool that network technicians and engineers need to install, turn-up, and maintain their networks. It supports both the legacy and emerging technologies required to handle various network applications including metro/core, mobile backhaul, and business services installations. The industry’s smallest handheld instrument can test throughout the service life cycle, including fiber characterization, service activation, troubleshooting, and maintenance. Advanced Ethernet test features such as TrueSpeed per RFC 6349, J-Profiler™, Wirespeed capture/decode, and automated J-Mentor, help field technicians test their networks faster and more accurately than ever before. Learn more about Fiber Testing and OTDR Testing from VIAVI experts.
- Simplifies multitechnology testing with an all-in-one dual-10 G handheld
- Optimized for field use with a multitouch screen, scripted workflows, and clear results
- Supports efficient best practices with repeatable methods and procedures
- Speeds fiber characterization, Ethernet service activation, and troubleshooting tests
- Empowers cell-site technicians to easily install and maintain back haul and front haul networks
- Avoid costly and dangerous tower climbs
- Fully-loaded TDM/PDH to dual 10 G Ethernet, SONET, SDH, Fiber Channel, and OTN support
- Automated, enhanced RFC 2544 and SAMComplete testing per ITU-T Y.1564
- Integrated burst testing approach per MEF 34 and RFC 6349 TrueSpeed™TCP throughput testing
- Integrated Timing/Synchronization testing including PTP/1588v2, SyncE, Wander, and One Way Delay test
- Fronthaul Testing CPRI/OBSAI Layer 1/Layer 2 and emulation of Baseband and Remote Radio units
- Single- and dual-port versions
- Compatible with VIAVI 4100-Series OTDR modules and Smart Link Mapper™, fiber microscopes, and optical power meters - Learn more about OTDR Testing
- BBU emulation
- Mobile and backhaul characterization, validation, and troubleshooting
- Converged Ethernet/IP network testing and troubleshooting at 10 Mbps to 10 G interfaces
- Fiber link characterization and troubleshooting
- Installation and maintenance of OTN and legacy SONET/SDH and TDM/PDH networks
- Installation and maintenance of wireless synchronization technologies such as PTP/1588v2 and SyncE
- Remote radio head (RRH) testing at the wireless basestation
- Test RRH health from the bottom of the tower via CPRI links and BBU emulation
- Identify PIM and interference issues from an optical test access point (RFoCPRI)
This product is StrataSync-enabled
StrataSync is a hosted, cloud-based solution that provides asset, configuration, and test data management for VIAVI instruments and ensures all instruments have the latest software and options installed. StrataSync Base supports basic capabilities at no charge. Additional StrataSync subscription plans are available offering enhanced asset and test data management, workflow, KPI analytics and application programming interfaces (APIs).
Part of The VIAVI Remote PHY Solution
This product is part of the comprehensive VIAVI Remote PHY turn-up and maintenance solution enabling seamless transitions from legacy to distributed access architectures.
Software & Firmware Releases
White Papers & Books
Instrument Care Support Plans
Save up the 50% of standard service prices and obtain priority service when you buy a bundled plan at the same time the instrument is purchased. Care Support Plans offer the best way to purchase extended warranty, premium technical support, self-paced training, and critical maintenance services like calibration services that include software and engineering change order update services to ensure your product is maintained with current software and a calibration certificate. These discounted plans are 2-5 years long when purchased upfront with your VIAVI instruments.
VIAVI Care Support
Standard Services + Customized Menu:
* 5-year plans only; if applicable
Ordering VIAVI Care Plans
To order a VIAVI Care Plan, request the following part numbers in your service plan quote from the table below. Your care plan will be sold in annual increments.
|Plan Type||Part Number||Years Serviced|
| BronzeCare||Bronze-2||First 2 Years|
|BronzeCare||Bronze-3||First 3 Years|
|BronzeCare||Bronze-4||First 4 Years|
|BronzeCare||Bronze-5||First 5 Years|
|SilverCare||Silver-2||First 2 Years|
|SilverCare||Silver-3||First 3 Years|
|SilverCare||Silver-4||First 4 Years|
|SilverCare||Silver-5||First 5 Years|
|MaxCare||MaxCare-3||First 3 Years|
|MaxCare||MaxCare-5||First 5 Years|
FleetCare plans can be customized to include any service entitlements
Repair & Calibration
Our products live in rugged environments for over 10 years with 1000s of test connect/disconnect cycles. We will be there to support you to ensure components that require maintenance like connectors, batteries, and software updates to ensure you are ready to test accurately for years to come. We apply factory procedures that use fast, automated calibration and functional verification, maintenance using OEM parts and the application of all engineering change orders and software updates. Services are available through contract Care plans, FleetCare or per incident as requests.
Top 4 Reasons to Choose VIAVI for Your Repair and Calibration Needs:
- Minimize business disruption
- Measurement Accuracy and Product Reliability
- Measurement Compliance, TL9000 certification and OEM Standards
Save on the test equipment you trust and purchase VIAVI pre-owned test equipment with confidence.
Top reasons for buying used test equipment un the VIAVI Encore program
- Cost saving: Round out your test instrument set at a discount.
- Accelerated delivery time: The product is ready to ship as soon as it is announced.
- 1 year warranty, calibration and OEM approved parts are included in the refurbishment
- Environmentally friendly reuse reduces e-waste and pollution
- Maintaining consistent procedures across your team is easy when everyone is using the same tool
Is Instrument Trade-In to Trade up available?
Yes! You can often trade in products you have owned for a few years and upgrade to the latest and greatest fleet for your team through the VIAVI trade in program. Please work with your sales representative to obtain a trade-in to trade-up quotation.
- Fiber/OTDR Testing with the T-BERD/MTS-5800
- Transport (DS1-10GigE) Network Testing Using the T-BERD/MTS-5800
- 10G/40G/100G Ethernet Testing w/the T-BERD/MTS-5800
- E/GigE/10G Ethernet Testing with the T-BERD/MTS-5800
- 10G Ethernet & CPRI Testing with the T-BERD/MTS-5800
- 10G Ethernet & OTDR Testing with the T-BERD/MTS-5800
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 V1 Overview (for older v1 units)
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 V2 Platform Overview (for v2 units)
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 COSA Testing
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 CPRI Testing Overview (extended version)
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 CPRI Testing Introduction
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 OTDR and SmartLink Mapper Testing Overview (extended version)
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 OTDR Smart Test Assitant Introduction
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 Fiber Inspection w/the P5000i
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 RFC-2544 Testing
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 RFC6349-SP
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 Y.1564 Testing
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 Ethernet Testing Technician Certification Exam
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 Fiber & OTDR Testing Technician Certification Exam
- T-BERD/MTS-5800 OCC-4056 DWDM Optical Channel Checker Testing
Product Training Options
Self-Paced Online Training and Certification
Learn to use the functionality and features of VIAVI Solutions' products online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week followed by a certification test upon completion of all modules.
Virtual Classroom and Certification
Instructor led Coursework: Learn from an expert Instructor from the convenience of your desk. Build your skill sets using VIAVI Solutions products to test various technologies with test and certification upon completion.
On-Site Classroom and Live Lab Workshops with Certifications
Instructor led Coursework: Build expertise using your VIAVI products in live lab exercises with test and certification upon completion. Utilize optional workshop days for field test on your network with your instructor.
Mentorship Consulting & System Admin Training
Instruments: Mentorship Test Procedure Consultation: Application Engineer Days. One of our test experts will come to your site and conduct testing with your team to troubleshoot stubborn problems or write up test procedures.